MY MEMORY CLOUD
EXPLORING DEMENTIA THROUGH CREATIVE ARTS
The number of people suffering with Dementia is on the rise. There are currently just under 900,000 people living with Dementia in the UK. Over 13,000 people of South Asian descent in England and Wales have received a diagnosis – but that number may be much higher in reality. By nature it can be an isolating and misunderstood condition – especially in the BME community, where a massive taboo and lack of information surrounds it.
Our My Memory Cloud project helps create a virtual time line for individuals living with Dementia. Dementia can leave individuals feeling lost and alone – with our Memory Cloud project we aim to keep those memories alive for as long as possible.
The aim of these personal time lines, created in partnership with the family, friends and carers of people living with Dementia, is to act as lasting memory for all involved and a pocket of happiness at a time that can be very emotionally draining.
The Memory Cloud typically consists of music, images and favourite moments in the person’s life. Although we know that Dementia can cause memories to fade, this does not mean that they should be forgotten.
OBJECTIVES AND OUTCOMES
Through various projects we will raise awareness and understanding of the impact of dementia on an inter-generational level, as well as increase empathy, understanding and communication of people living with dementia.
We want people living with Dementia to maintain their independence for as long as possible and improve overall emotional wellbeing and happiness.
Our five key ‘My Memory Cloud’ outcomes
– Challenging negative stereotypes of Dementia, attitudes & behaviours.
– Supporting people living with Dementia to maintain their independence for as long as possible.
– Raising awareness of Dementia in the BME Community.
– Create a safe space living with Dementia, their friends & carers to increase empathy, understanding & communication.
– Developing a Resource Pack for BME Communities in their own community languages.
– Create lasting friendships
– Build confidence and self-esteem
– Support learning of new skills
Case Studies and Personal Stories
Below is a list of My Memory Cloud participants and their stories surrounding their experience with the project. You can watch and listen to their stories via the video links below.